remove wireless device limitation with airtel broadband

Recently, I applied for an connection. Everything went really fast and smooth till the technician came home to setup the modem for . I had opted for the free wi-fi modem from and the one they provided me was 850w. Surprisingly, this modem that came with had a firmware locked to !. I had two issues with this setup

1. Max you can connect only 4 wireless devices. If you have two laptops and two phones at home, that itself occupies all the 4 slots. If you have a tab or if your friends or relatives visit your place, they won’t be able to connect their devices to your modem using wifi till you knock out one of the earlier registered devices and then register the new device. This seriously, is a PIA!!!.
  2. The Airtel technician who came for setting up the modem had no clue on how to how to configure Android phones for connecting to WiFi. According to him, the phones would just connect automatically which was absolutely wrong. I was able to connect successfully using the same authentication settings as what my laptop showed (Network Manager in Unbuntu shows the connection information). But the problem with that was that, if I go out of wireless range and then come back again, the phone was not auto connecting to WiFi. In fact, all the steps for configuring Phone is mentioned on the Airtel website itself (ftp://122.166.105.80/cas%20installation/samsung%20smart%20phone/Samsung%20smartphones%20-WPA2-Ent.doc). Though the doc is for Samsung, it applies to any android phone. Similar doc is available for Nokia phones also on their website. Technicians are not aware of any of these!

Searching on the internet for an unlocked firmware for this device didn’t give much results. I think the 850w is a new modem replacing the old 845w which Airtel was providing earlier. I sent a mail to Airtel customer care detailing the problem that I am facing and also at the same time, I contacted the guys at Binatone for an unlocked firmware. In the mean time, I searched the entire Airtel website (ftp://122.166.105.80/) for anything that could help me here. I noticed that ftp://122.166.105.80/new%20folder/dt850w-a6.004%20wifi%20new/ had  two directories. – 850_hide and 850_No hide. All you have to do is, download the firmware (filename – ras) inside the “No hide” directory and use that firmware with the 850w router. The stock firmware that came with the modem wouldn’t allow you to change the Wireless Authentication – all that would be greyed out (Unchangeable). This firmware inside the No Hide directory would unlock all that and you can configure the modem with WPA2-PSK with AES which is what I did. No more limitation on number of devices and phone is also happy. The Binatone 850w also has mulltiple SSIDs.

Folks at Binatone did give me a firmware, but unfortunately that didn’t work for me. Later I got call from Airtel customer care regarding my query. As usual, the first level guys that you get to talk to initially know nothing about all these. I had to escalate the call to talk to someone from the technical team and they said they can’t increase the limit of only 4 devices. If I can provide them my internet IP, they said they will login from there and change the firmware to unlock the settings which I had already done.

I am also attaching the unlocked firmware here in case Airtel decide to remove that from their website later 🙂 You can get it here – dt850w-a1.006.ras

Airtel seem to be implementing this Enterprise Authentication based on telecom regulations

In that case, they should allow the users to request for increasing the number of wireless devices that can be registered on their portal. In fact, docs on their site says that subscribers can ask for increase – ftp://122.166.105.80/Utilities%20CD/CAS%20Config%20&%20FAQ/Airtel%20Wi-Fi%20CASMasterTrainers%20FOR%20UTILITY.ppt on PAGE 38, says

A master can create up to 3 child accounts
This limit can be changed by the administrators on a per subscriber basis.

Calls/Emails to Airtel asking for increase on this was not really helpful. As per them, they can’t increase this limit of 4 devices. If someone asks for increase, they will provide the unlocked firmware!. Nice way of implementing telecom regulations, isn’t it? 🙂

Hope this helps!

Jemshad

This entry was posted in General and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to remove wireless device limitation with airtel broadband

1. Arun kumar says:

how to cross limit of max clients in beetel 450 tc2 wifi.

2. Sunny Dua says:

Anyone has access to the stock firmware of 450TC3?

3. balaji says:

i purchased airtel 450tc3 model modam they also limitation on wireless device is it possible to relese to limitation on that modam

4. manish says:

hi Jamshed,
    I have the same modem and i have forgotten its pw is there any assistance you can get me to unlock it?

Secondly, recently i have changed the service provider to bsnl on fiber, which only provides non-wifi modem, can i connect this beetel 450TC2 to it to get wifi broadband at my home?

please suggest…many thanks in advance.

5. Shafi Mohamed says:

Hi
    I am using 450tc2. Trying to use dlink 505 wifi repeator. But dlink says my wireless connection must be wps.

What comes with airtel is wpa. How to change wpa to wps to get the wifi repeator work.

Pls help.

Shafi from chennai using airtel.

6. Krishan says:

I am trying to download firmware for 450 tc2, but google docs is asking me to get access for the file. Can someone tell me how to get the access.

7. Pavan says:

Thnx Bro You Saved My Time and Money….

8. Anand says:

Error Message:

——————————————————————————–
    when i try to update it showing the below error.

ERROR: FAIL TO UPDATE DUE TO… The uploaded file was not accepted by the router.

——————————————————————————–

9. gopi says:

thanks logesh for providing the firmware update, now I am able to use wep security.

10. Rajiv says:

My airtel login not open properly. I want to change the our airtel wifi password. I using airtel morden dt 850w. I think some screen lock set by my airtel service manager. kindly advise how I open the airtel login & change the password

11. rohit says:

i am unable to upload the said firmware on my 450tc2 because then it is asking to login into modem again and when i enter the default login id and pass its saying that its incorrect please need help asap thanks in advance

12. sooraj says:

You didn’t mention to disable ACL (Access control list) to connect multiple devices to wifi after upgrading the firmware.
    Anyways!this is great post bro!thank you so much for your effort in letting us know.Cheer! 🙂

13. vikram says:

how to know how many devices connected to beetel 450 tc2 wifi router….. pls help me

some another people conneted to slow the my wifi

14. hasan says:

Can anybody post the latest unlocked version for Beetel 450TC2 please? The above given links doesn’t open up.
    PLease help

15. Vick85 says:

Hi

I’m having the same problem, Cant connect my phone through wifi.
    Modem: DT 850W binatone. Airtel 8mbps connection

I downloaded the file & went to 192.168.1.1, its asking for username & password.
    What username & password & password should I enter??

Also the file is a .ras file,where/how should I run it or install it?? Please HELP

16. Mihir says:

from where to download update for tc2

17. Shantanu says:

Upgrade the firmware… simply upgrading the firmware will help resolve a lot of issues – which otherwise are there in the modems running on Airtel supplied firmware…

I upgraded the firmware on my TC2 modem and the frequent disconnection issues dont appear anymore…

18. MIhir says:

same problem with 450TC2….. please someone help
    sometimes even it dont show onmy android.

19. Guru says:

Kindly throw the modem that came with Airtel and then buy yourself a new modem. That’s what I plan to do. Because the service engineer who came was so intimidating as if I knew nothing all the while unable to answer any of my questions. All he said was “Aitel gives only this modem sir. You can get ur own if you like. This will be like that only”.

That’s the best answer one can get.
    Welcome to the world of Airtel. I am just 2 weeks old customer.

Planning to close my account exactly after 6 months as I have already paid for 6 months 🙁

Cheeers
    S.Guru

20. Ash says:

Hi, Chet can you send me the firmware what used for 450tc2 and how did u go about installing the same as well.
    my prsent fir ware id is : TX6-0Q-006
    But i cant change Wpa2 to wep.
    Let me know if you could help me out.
    Regards,
    Ashish Bahl

21. Mukund says:

i too have the same problem with Airtel network with my Laptop getting disconnected very frequently…moreover my laptop does not even detect my airtel network while it identifies all other networks in the building…any help to this would be highly appreciated.
    Really fed up with this wi-fi connection. Worst experience ever.

22. Sanchit says:

beetel 450tc2 has a problem. The PC connected with LAN interface works fine, but the devices connected with wifi gets disconnected after frequent intervals.This is irritating. Does anyone experienced the same problem, any solutions for this?

23. Chet says:

Thanks alot Logesh :)!!! The 450TC2, firmware update worked!!! now i changed the authetication from WPA2 to WEP and ‘m able to connect through wifi to my Laptop & mobile through my BSNL broadband!!! Thanks jemshad !!!

24. Shantanu says:

All right … I updated the firmware with the new one and after the updates i was able to change the security settings !! 🙂

The net is working fine now … so far so good… hope it continues this way … 🙂

Thanx for all the guidance !!!

Best Regards,
    Shantanu

25. Shantanu says:

Great Jemshad… and Good Job Logesh for providing Beetel 450 TC2 firmware as well !! Thanx a lot for this !!

But, can you please also provide step-by-step instructions on HOW to install this firmware on my modem?
    Do we need to remove the previous firmware first, or is that taken care of by itself?

Sorry, but I have never tried hands on this thing before – so no idea on how to use & deal with modem firmwares.

Please guide. !!

Thanks !!
    ~ Shantanu

26. Logesh says:

Shri,
    Thanks very much
    The firmware in your link works perfectly.

27. Shri says:

this link may help for Beetel customers
    ftp://122.166.105.80/Utilities%20CD/Beetel%20Firmwares/

it has Beetel 450TC1 FW

28. Raw says:

The Beetel 450 TC2 link is not working.

29. Arun kumar says:

Great post !! But can you please tell me how to do it for beetel 450TC2 modem.

30. Nilay Shah says:

I have been looking for the Beetel 450TC2 Firmware with Wifi unlocked but was not able to get it can you please provide me with the same with the working link.

Thanks & Regards

31. abhi says:

the thing is i want to remove a member from the group of 4 and add another …….

32. Navin says:

Hey,

got the firmware update done, after a bit of research and frustration. shows 006 as current.

now the next challenge is getting the wifi setup for WPA2-PSK (as done by u). tried a lot of things but couldn’t get two wifi devices working in parallel.

please provide me a soln. also if wouldn’t mind calling you up mail me your number at navinkallolli@gmail.com

33. Navin says:

hi jemshad,

thanks for posting this .

I did download ras file. but could let me know how i can use it ? you may call me a noob but i am totally clueless how to proceed. please provide a step by step detail if possible. thanks

34. K says:

Thanks dude. You saved my day 🙂

35. Kartz says:

Mate, does Binatone 850W or Beetel 450TC2 support voip?

Any insights would be highly appreciated!

And thank you very much for this very useful post, Jemshad – unfortunately, where I stay, AirTel is the only option (for wireline internet) and I am wondering whether or not to go for their modems. My option is to try and use their service through my own modem-router – but I have been told that should any connectivity issues arise, the support will brush it aside as problems with ‘my modem’ and not ‘their connection’.

Thanks again – for the post and for taking the time to read my note.

36. Nithin says:

Thanks a lot Jemshad.. Really helpful post..

37. Sujan says:

i got the same prob before but that seems to be solved now. yet again i got a new prob the beetel 450tc2 has a problem in it i guess coz after a certain period of not using the internet the connection seems to be lost n it wont connect again can anyone help

38. omkarkul says:

@Jino James plz tell what did u do for 450tc2
    that u can use n no. of wifi connections ???

39. Dennis says:

Hi Jino, what changes did you make to 450tc2?

40. Jemshad O K says:

Jino – good to know that 🙂

41. Jemshad O K says:

hey Prithvi,

Sorry about that. There was a problem with the url and I have fixed it. Try now.

42. Jino James says:

Thanks Jemshad

Its working for me perfectly on my Beetel 450tc2
    Now i can use n number of wifi gadgets

43. prithvi says:

Can please send me the dt 850w stock firmware to my mail id. prithvidsnx26@gmail.com .the link above for the file is not working.

44. Jemshad O K says:

I don’t see the stock firmware of 450TC2 on their website. You can still contact the company and try to get the firmware through them.

45. Rup says:

Great post !! But can you please tell me how to do it for beetel 450TC2 modem.